If you're in a hurry, you don't need to roast the tomatoes, but it absolutely adds to the depth and sweet character of the flavor.
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 45 min
- Ready Time : 1 hour, 5 min
- 8-10 large tomatoes
- 2 large onions diced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 whole star anise
1) Concassé tomatoes. Reserve skins.
2) Quarter tomatoes. Seed. Lay out on sheet tray. Roast for 20 minutes at 190°C (375°F)
2) Sweat onions in butter.
3) Add tomatoes. Stir to crush.
4) Add 3qt water.
5) Put roasted skins into a cheesecloth bag. Put in pot.
6)Bring to boil. Simmer 30 minutes.
7) Remove skins. Puree with immersion blender. Adjust flavor with salt.
8) Drop one star anise pod (seven seeds to a pod) into the soup. Allow to infuse for 5-8 minutes, depending on the strength of anisette flavor you want in your soup.
9) Remove star anise. Stir. Serve.