- Ready Time : 0 min
- 500 grams onions peeled and chopped
- 200 grams carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large eggplant peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes chopped
- 1 head garlic
- 1 box fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1 cup wheatberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup oil
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- Lay chopped vegetables except mushrooms out in a roasting pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Drizzle garlic head with oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap in aluminum foil and set on tray.
- Roast vegetables for 30-40 minutes.
- Heat oil in a 5-quart pot.
- Add mushrooms to oil. Sauté for 5 minutes until mushrooms begin to turn golden.
- Add 4 liters of water. Add spices.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Remove garlic from tray.
- Add roasted vegetables to the pot.
- With an immersion blender, blend soup until chunky.
- Halve the garlic head. Squeeze roasted garlic out. Add to pot and stir.
- Add wheatberries.
- Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes until wheatberries are tender and soup thickens slightly. Season with salt to taste.