- Prep Time : 45 min PT0H45M
- Cook Time : 15 min PT0H15M
- Ready Time : 60 min PT0H60M
- 200 mililiters fresh lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 200 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
- 50 butter or margarine
- 250 butter cookies petite beurre
- 1/4 silan
- 400 mililiters water
- 100 sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 separate
- Whisk together lemon juice, zest, sugar, eggs and salt in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add cornstarch and whisk vigorously until dissolved.
- Continue whisking until the curd thickens and just begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat, cut in and whisk the butter or margarine until incorporated.
- Chill one hour.
- Meanwhile, combine whole crackers and silan in a food processor.
- Pulse on medium until finely ground.
- Cut out a paper liner for the pan and place in the bottom.
- Press the cracker crumb into the bottom of the pie pan.
- Put the sugar, water and one pinch of citric acid into a small saucepan.
- Cook the sugar until the thermometer registers 102°C-106°C (215°F-222°F).
- Beat the egg whites on medium with a pinch of citric acid in a mixer until foamy.
- Pour the cooked sugar in a thin thread into the egg whites while continuing beating them at medium speed.
- Increase the mixer to maximum speed until stiff peaks form at the edge of the bowl.
- Fill the pie crust with lemon curd filling. Chill 20 minutes.
- Mound the meringue on top of the filling. Use the back of a spoon to raise meringue spikes.
- Lightly caramelize the meringue with a blowtorch or held under a broiler for seconds.