A variation of the classic French dessert.
- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 35 min
- Ready Time : 50 min
- 1 whole vanilla bean split and scraped
- 120 mililiters non-dairy whipped cream
- 120 mililiters soy milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 100 grams sugar
- 15 whole figs stems trimmed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the tip of your knife.
- In a sauce pan, heat non-dairy cream, soy milk, eggs, yolks, sugar, and vanilla seeds. Stir vigorously until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Ladle the custard into a deep non-reactive baking dish or aluminum pan lined with baking paper.
- Slice the figs in half and arrange cut side up, pressing the figs down into the custard.
- Bake for eight to ten minutes at 200°C (400°F).
- Reduce heat to 160°C (325°F) and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until custard is completely set. Serve warm.
Note: This is a simple variation on cherry clafoutis.