- Ready Time : 0 min
- 500 grams onion finely diced
- 1000 grams potatoes diced
- 500 grams corn kernels
- 250 butter divided
- 200 carrots minced
- 4 liters water
- 375 mililiters cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Make no mistake, the full-fat version is the way to go for this creamy, silky soup. However, several variations are listed at the end of the recipe.
- Sweat onions in 100g of butter
- Add potatoes and carrots. Cook 10 minutes until soft. Do not allow vegetables to brown. Add a cup of water if the vegetables are sticking to the pot.
- Add corn. Add water. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat for 90 minutes. Occasionally stir the soup vigorously to break up the potatoes.
- Add liquid smoke.
- In a small pot, melt remaining butter. Add flour and cream. Stir until smooth.
- Add thickener to pot slowly. Stir to combine until smooth. Boil another 20 minutes until the soup reached the desired consistency. If you prefer a heartier soup, or your potatoes weren’t starchy enough, add 1/3 cup potato flakes.
Lower fat: substitute 200g leben or yogurt plus 175 grams 1% milk for cream.
Pareve: substitute 375g unflavored soy milk. Substitute margarine. Add more potato flakes as necessary.
Mesquite: substitute hot chipotle sauce for liquid smoke, to taste, at least 1 tablespoon.