A little South of the Border twist on a traditional Chanukah meal. Add some chopped jalapeños for a spicy kick. Serve with sour cream.
- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 25 min
- Ready Time : 40 min
- 150 grams coarse ground cornmeal
- 200 mililiters liquid from canned corn
- 100 grams onion grated
- 200 grams corn kernels canned
- 400 black beans
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 30 grams cilantro
- salt and pepper
- 1 liter vegetable oil
- In a small saucepan, bring the corn liquid to a boil. Remove from fire.
- Add cornmeal to the water and mix. Let it stand until water is absorbed.
- Mix cornmeal, onion, black beans, corn and cumin.
- Add eggs and cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. The batter will be very loose.
- Chop cilantro and add to batter.
- Fry on low heat until golden brown on both sides.
Note: If the corn kernels get too hot, they will pop, which can be dangerous. You can mash them slightly before mixing them into the batter to help prevent this from happening.
Add chopped jalapeños to the batter for a spicy kick.
Servings Per Recipe: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 34.1g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
- Sodium: 76mg
- Total Carbs: 109.3g
- Dietary Fiber: 19.9g
- Protein: 31.2g