You can substitute ground turkey or beef stew for the ground beef. You can substitute canned tomatoes for fresh. Peel and seed the tomatoes. you can substitute any flavorful liquid for the stock, beef stock or tomato juice work well. Use canned beans if you like beans soft, or soak dried beans for eight hours for a firmer textured bean.
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 90 min
- Ready Time : 1 hour, 50 min
- 1/2 cup oil divided
- 500 grams onions diced
- 500 grams ground beef
- 800 grams tomatoes chopped
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 300 grams red beans canned
- 500 grams green pepper diced
- 100 grams hot pepper minced
- 2 whole bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
1) In a 4-quart pot, heat 1/4 cup oil. Add minced garlic and cook until garlic lightly browns.
2) Add onions and sweat for 10 minutes until golden.
3) Add meat, 1/4 cup oil and stir. Saute on low for 20 minutes.
4) Add tomatoes to pot. Stir to combine.
5) Add stock, beans, chopped green pepper and hot pepper.
6) Add chili powder. Stir to combine thoroughly.
7) Lower heat and simmer for one hour.