The eggplant will absorb the oil quickly. Keep them from sticking to the pan by shaking it every few minutes. Eventually, they will release the oil back into the pan.
- Ready Time : 0 min
- 4 whole chicken cutlets
- 1 large onion julienne
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large eggplant/aubergine cut into half-moon slices
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 6-8 whole tomatoes cherry or plum, halved
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper ground
1) Heat 2T oil in saute pan until shimmering. Add onions and saute until translucent.
2) Add red wine to onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until reduced and onions are fully caramelized. Remove from pan.
3) Heat 2T oil in saute pan. Add eggplant slices. Season with salt and pepper. Lower to medium heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, shaking occasionally and turning once. Remove from pan.
4) Turn heat up to high. Sear tomato halves until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Add remaining 1 T oil to pan.
5) Season chicken with salt. Dredge chicken in flour, coating on both sides. Place chicken in hot pan. Cook five minutes per side, until both sides are golden brown and chicken is no longer raw to the touch.
6) Arrange eggplant slices on plate, top with chicken. Top chicken with onions. Garnish with tomatoes.
Alternative: Slice the chicken flat 3/4 of the way through. “Stuff” the chicken with eggplant and onions, garnish with tomatoes.