This eggplant caponata is a classic Italian accompaniment and one of my favorite catering dishes.
- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 40 min
- Ready Time : 55 min
- 3 743s
- 500 1451s diced
- 1 483 cubed
- 2 1468s roasted
- 1 1468 roasted
- 20 1451s minced
- 200 1451s
- 40 mililiters
- 50 1451s sliced
- 50 1451s
- Roast peppers over an open flame.
- In a large pot, saute onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add eggplant, garlic and tomato paste.
- Peel roasted peppers and dice. Add to eggplant.
- Add olives. Cook covered over low heat, stirring frequently, until eggplants are completely soft.
- Remove from fire. Add capers and vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve the caponata at room temperature as a salad or condiment to crackers. You can leave out the olives, but I don’t recommend leaving out the capers. Rinse them under running water to mute the flavor.