Classic Jewish deli at its absolute best. Juicy, delicious, perfection in each slice.
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 180 min
- Ready Time : 3 hour, 20 min
- 3 liters water
- 180 grams kosher salt
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 20 grams Pink Salt #1
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 12 whole juniper berries optional
- 5 whole bay leaves
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 2.5 - 3 kilograms beef brisket
- In one liter of water, dissolve sugar, saltpeter and salt over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Roughly crush or smash seeds and garlic.
- Pour all of the water, seeds and bay leaves into a large zip-top bag.
- Add brisket and seal. Place flat in the refrigerator.
- Let cure for 10 days to two weeks, turning the brisket daily.
- After curing, remove the corned beef, rinse it off and place it in a pot large enough to hold it and fill the pot with water.
- Bring water to the boil then simmer it for 2.5 to 3 hours, until soft.