Simple classic potato latkes, the perennial Chanukah treah. Shredded, of course.
- Prep Time : 15 min
- Cook Time : 35 min
- Ready Time : 50 min
- 1.2 kilograms potatoes shredded and squeezed dry
- 350 grams onion shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 80 grams flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns finely ground
- Heat a large frying pan. Add oil into the pan until it begins to climb the sides of the pan.
- Shred potatoes into a bowl.
- Shred onion into the potatoes.
- Squeeze as much water out of the mixture as you can. Use your hands, cheesecloth or a small pillowcase.
- Add eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Using a soup spoon, carefully drop portions of batter into the hot oil.
- Fry 2 1/2 – 3 minutes on one side. Flip and fry 2 – 2 1/2 minutes more.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Note: One serving equals 5-6 latkes
Servings Per Recipe: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving
- Total Fat: 16.6g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Sodium: 1219mg
- Total Carbs: 47.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.2g
- Protein: 9.1g