- 250 grams black beans
- 500 grams onions chopped
- 350 grams carrots sliced
- 10 grams hot pepper
- 260 grams canned tomatoes crushed
- 30 mililiters oil
- 350 grams celery
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin ground
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 fresh lemon juice
- 4 liters water
- 1/2 cup red wine
For a heartier soup, use an immersion blender and pulse for 2-3 seconds only to grind up the beans, which will thicken the soup.
This soup is better the following day.
- Prepare black beans. Retain cooking liquid.
- Brown onions and garlic in oil. Add carrots and celery. Saute until soft.
- Add beans with their cooking liquid. Add water up to 4 liters.
- Add crushed tomatoes, hot pepper, bay leaf, spices, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 90 minutes.