Greece is home to one of the quintessential Mediterranean cuisines. And, spanakopita is the first food I ever prepared for public consumption, as a grade school assignment.
See, Mom? I still remember.
I have composed a list of ingredients that you would typically find in Greek cuisine, as well as some classic Greek dishes that exemplify their contribution to world cuisine.
Herbs and Spices
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Red mullet
- Sea bass
- Tsatsiki yogurt
- Olive oil
- Phyllo Dough
- Dolmadakia – stuffed grape leaves
- Spanakopita – spinach and feta cheese pies in Phyllo dough
- Taramasalata – fish eggs in a potato and oil sauce
- Greek Salad – really of Greek origin.
- Moussaka – ground lamb and eggplant slices in tomato sauce
- Gyro – roasted lamb on a vertical spit. Our shwarma.
- Avgolemono – egg and lemon sauce. Also served as a soup
- Baklava – Sweetened Phyllo pastry with honey and crushed nuts.